Saturday, March 19, 2011

Parenting Rule 437:

Parenting Rule 437:  When all else fails...bribe them. 

I was one of "those" parents.  You know...the ones without kids.  My kids were never going to do this or that, and especially, not "that".  I wonder if God was just chuckling away to himself with his plan for 3 small children all in a row.  Both of our kids slept in their beds pretty much from the beginning.  C went into the crib at day one and Callie soon after since she was so big in her cradle.  I slept tons better and actually wasn't one of those moms who checked on them all night.  I was exhausted and once my head it the pillow, if they didn't need me, I figured I didn't need them until morning.  They both slept through the night early on and all was well.  This mama needs her sleep. C had several ear infections when he was teething and those nights weren't fun, but overall, I had great sleepers.  Perfect Parent Award:  check.  To make sure they never did "that", they both had real beds in their rooms for us in case we needed to lay with them.  All is well in the Stahl household until...C decided to fling himself out of his bed so many times I figured a ER visit was in our near future. 

Fast forward to today.  Both of them have moved to big beds, are almost completely potty trained(which totally messes with your sleep in case you are considering it, not to mention your laundry), and are now in the same room.  The combo of all of those things along with C stopping his afternoon nap has caused them to pitter patter down the hall and sneak into our bed.  It could be one of them, it could be both of them, it could be one of us in their bed(not going to mention which one of us does this, but I will give you a hint...it is not this big bellied mama)...but one thing is for sure...it is making for two very tired parents.  There are nights when it is very sweet that C snuggles up to you and plays with your hair...but my need for sleep has overtaken that very sweet memory.  We know that they won't do this forever, but with a new baby on the way...we have got to stop the madness.  We have tried lots of things to get them to stop to no avail. Callie gets the award for staying in her bed the most.  C is the lightest sleeper on the planet...don't believe me?  Well, just invite him over for a sleep over and you will be crying out to your mama every time you see his head pop up right next to your bed...wide eyed and ready to go...at 2am. 

So, like all good parents who have read all the parenting books about how you should be in control of your children, tell them like it is, show them who is boss, say no and mean it, be consistent so and your children will fall in line like tiny tin soldiers...we bribed them.




And it worked.  Last night, both kids went to bed with visions of Thomas and Cinderella in their heads, and woke up snug as a bug...in their beds at 7:30am(cue, the Hallelujah choir).  This my friends might be the best parenting advice I could ever give you, esp. if your children ever decide to do "that". 

If all else fails...bribe them.  You will sleep much better for it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me some love! It's my favorite part!