When people see that I am pregnant again, they all pretty much say the same thing. Of course you got pregnant after you adopted, see it happens all the time. Tell that to the other 6 couples who it hasn't happened to in our adoption class. Someone said it again tonight when we went to church, and then proceeded to tell me that now I was going to have to find a way to stop it. It doesn't hurt my feelings, and I have to say I am used to it. Someone says it to me at least once a day ,and did the whole time I was pregnant with Callie. I am sure if it was the other way around, I would probably think or even say the same things. And maybe, just maybe we didn't wait long enough to see if we could have our "own" kids. I am forever grateful that I will never know the answer to that question. I know that I would never want it to be any other way. I am glad that I will never take God out of Christian's birth story. I am so thankful that I waited all those years to have the most adorable blue eyed 3 year old curl up next to me, rub my hair and say, I love you Mommy. I know with every bone in my body he was worth the wait and wasn't plan B. He was God's plan A all along.
Why am I thinking about this lately? Well, I am 21 weeks pregnant. That is the same amount of weeks Jessika was when we met her and Zach almost 4 years ago. I remember her walking in to the room at the pregnancy crisis center and thinking...oh my God...she is just a baby. She is physically tiny and had braces. She barely weighed 100lbs. Wow, they are just babies having a baby. Unless you have ever done something like this, it is the strangest, most awkward, most amazing, most frightening, most humbling thing Gregg and I have ever done. We fell in love with them that day.
My pregnancy with Callie was a little bit of a blur, and we were still in a fog from having a newborn. I think it has taken me this long and this pregnancy to understand the magnitude of what a gift Jessika and Zach gave us. She felt him move in her tummy just like I feel our baby moving, sometimes they tiniest flutter, other times a pain that takes your breathe away. They had hope and dreams from him just like we do for our 3rd baby. She saw him sucking his thumb and flipping around on the ultrasound just like I am going to do on Weds. She knew in her heart that he was a boy, and kept dreaming about someone named Jenny. Once she found out my name, she said it all made sense. She was determined to give her child a good life with all the possibilities, just like we will for our child. She named him Ryan, just like we are going to name our child after finding the gender this week. All of these things make us the same. Two expecting moms. What makes us different is her decision to do what she felt was best despite our selfish nature. She birthed a beautiful healthy baby boy whose reflection was exactly like his Daddy, and then handed him to Gregg knowing that he wasn't going to be "hers". Yes, always her first born. Yes, always connected to her. Yes, a place in her heart that will never be filled. But, not "hers". This is where she trumps me. She did what I could have never done. She was brave and determined and heartbroken and steady and selfless and he should be so proud of her.
As I sit here at 21 weeks thinking about her at 21 weeks, I am just reminded that even though people think Christian made me a Mommy, it was really her, doing what Moms do...the best for their baby.
Saturday, March 26, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am just a girl trying to matter to God, my husband, my kids, family and friends. Sometimes I hop two steps forward and crawl one step back or even have to make a twirl to get back on track. But, I hope to give more than I take and have some fun along the way. Stop by for a couple of dances and cut in when you can.
I met Gregg when I was 17 and have been madly in love with him ever since. He is selfless, works really hard, and will do anything for anyone. He really is “that” nice all the time and he makes me a better person. He loves anything outdoors and runs like Forrest any chance he gets. He makes a mean bbq, dances with the kids to Elmo, and leaves cards for us to find all over the house. He is everything I could have ever dreamed of, and I am so proud to be his wife.
Mr. Christian has bluest eyes and is full of life. He is “all boy” and jumps from one adventure to the next. He loves trains, watermelon, and his blankie. He is polite, kind, and has tons of charisma with his little grin. He is a great big brother and gives in to girls more than they deserve. He is Daddy’s little buddy and the joy of my heart.
Miss Callie is everything I ever dreamed up in a little girl. She is about everything and everybody and never sits still. She loves all things girly, babies, mommy’s cell phone, pink, and her pillow. She has a laugh that starts in her toes and will melt you with her smile. She dances through our house in princess dresses with a pen and pad in her hand. She is mama’s little helper and Daddy’s Sweet Pea.
Cate is the icing on the cake. God knew she would be the perfect compliment to our family. She loves necklaces, animals, and her loveys. She has just enough girly to hang with Callie at her tea parties, but already shows a special bond with her big brother loving his superheros. She is a typical third child getting whatever she wants with those deep dimples of hers.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave me some love! It's my favorite part!