
That seems to be the word of the day...
Celebrating the life of my Grandfather, Giles Crocker Fite, Jr.
and Christian going to his first day of pre-school at Celebration Church.
You can find out a lot about a person at their funeral. I found out that Grandpa owned his own plane, was born in Gastonia, NC, and had another family besides ours. His Navy family. One of his friends that has known him since they enlisted spoke solider stories of near misses when he was flying planes and moving in next door to each other in Doraville starting to raise babies. It was great to see all the old neighbors coming to honor such a great man. Grandma and Grandpa have been married 63 years, and Grandpa celebrated his 86 birthday last week. As hard as it was to watch Grandma say goodbye to her true love, we know that he is waiting for her on the other side. Grandpa was able to be buried in Canton and the National Cemetery and had full honors. Even though, I have been to my other Grandpa's military funeral, nothing prepares you for the gun salute. It is goes to your core and maybe that is what it is intended to do, shake you up a bit to remind you of the sacrifice of each military family.
Grandpa will will miss you and know that you have joined a new family...The Lord's Army.
Celebration #2 This morning was little man's first day at pre-school. It was a crazy morning getting everyone ready for the funeral and get Christian ready for his first day. Do I have everything, supplies, lunch, backpack, sippy cups, diapers, lunch for Callie at home, all of our stuff for the long day at the funeral? But, we managed to get him to school on time without any tears...well, Daddy teared up in the car, but we aren't counting those. He had a great day and his report came back that he enjoyed playing with the kids, wasn't so sure about sitting at the table for table time, but was very loving and giving hugs(hopefully this ends in preschool or we might be in trouble). He must have had a great time, because he took a long nap from all the playing. Gregg and I were a little sad that we weren't there to pick him up, but Paw enjoyed going to get him from school. I think Callie enjoyed her one on one time with Nanny and Paw too. So, there you have it, I have a pre-schooler and all is well.
He wanted to take his drum stick to school...
I am just a girl trying to matter to God, my husband, my kids, family and friends. Sometimes I hop two steps forward and crawl one step back or even have to make a twirl to get back on track. But, I hope to give more than I take and have some fun along the way. Stop by for a couple of dances and cut in when you can.
I met Gregg when I was 17 and have been madly in love with him ever since. He is selfless, works really hard, and will do anything for anyone. He really is “that” nice all the time and he makes me a better person. He loves anything outdoors and runs like Forrest any chance he gets. He makes a mean bbq, dances with the kids to Elmo, and leaves cards for us to find all over the house. He is everything I could have ever dreamed of, and I am so proud to be his wife.
Mr. Christian has bluest eyes and is full of life. He is “all boy” and jumps from one adventure to the next. He loves trains, watermelon, and his blankie. He is polite, kind, and has tons of charisma with his little grin. He is a great big brother and gives in to girls more than they deserve. He is Daddy’s little buddy and the joy of my heart.
Miss Callie is everything I ever dreamed up in a little girl. She is about everything and everybody and never sits still. She loves all things girly, babies, mommy’s cell phone, pink, and her pillow. She has a laugh that starts in her toes and will melt you with her smile. She dances through our house in princess dresses with a pen and pad in her hand. She is mama’s little helper and Daddy’s Sweet Pea.
Cate is the icing on the cake. God knew she would be the perfect compliment to our family. She loves necklaces, animals, and her loveys. She has just enough girly to hang with Callie at her tea parties, but already shows a special bond with her big brother loving his superheros. She is a typical third child getting whatever she wants with those deep dimples of hers.
When I was in the Air Force, I was able to serve on the Honor Guard. You are right; there is nothing like the military honors bestowed on those who served. I was always moved even though I didn't know the person receiving the honors.
ReplyDeleteYour family will be in my prayers for God's comfort. Thank you for sharing a beautiful story!